Hope this Christmas finds you well.
We have definitely been getting out more this year even though I am still wearing my mask when volunteering at the Heartland Hands food pantry. We have also kept up with our covid vaccinations trying to stay safe. Unfortunately, I did catch covid once this year after going on a cruise with my Mom in July (more on that later) but thankfully it was a very mild case. Meade has managed to avoid catching it. Unfortunately Lee caught it and was pretty sick but only for about a week.
I still love being semi-retired but am looking forward to becoming fully retired on August 21, 2023. I picked that date because it is when my CAC (common access card) expires and rather than go to the trouble of renewing it for just a few months I am going to go ahead and fully retire then instead of at the end of 2023.
I have always loved volunteering and have been doing quite a bit of it. In addition to the Heartland Hands food bank I have been participating with Soldier Angels. It has different support opportunities to help our soldiers. Originally, I was sending stuff to deployed soldiers but I never got any feedback on what they wanted or whether they received the stuff I sent so it was very unsatisfying so I switched to support the caretakers of wounded soldiers. I send a package to one of them each month and have gotten a few emails and cards of thanks. I also give blood as often as I can. I have only failed the hemoglobin test once this year. I need to be careful to eat more beans and red meat for a week before going to give. I am also a co-lead for an online small group at church.
My first trip to Florida this year was to be there when Mom's lift was installed. She had been having some problem climbing the stairs and rather than move she decided to put in an Stiltz lift. They installed it in 3 days and after one problem where it got stuck because I touched something I shouldn't have she has had no trouble and loves it.
That first trip also included my first Star Trek cruise. Lee went with me. The ship was decorated in the Star Trek theme with each restaurant, lounge and store renamed. They gave us a present every day (hat, poster, towel, duffel bag, shirt, socks) and there were 25 actors from the various Star Trek series. Each of the series were represented with a varying number of people. Not surprisingly, the original series was the smallest with just Sulu and Chekov..All of the shows on the ships were performances by the actors. There were a few that were game shows. Then there were some that were musical entertainment. Tuvok of Voyager plays the guitar, the Doctor of Voyager sings, etc. They showed a Star Trek movie every night. They had a theme each night with one being Gorn's toga party. Each of the series had a channel on the tv. There were also a bunch of different panels with groups of stars. I absolutely loved it. Since Lee isn't a big Star Trek fan he didn't go to many of the shows. He says he had a good time. I will probably be going on another one in three years or so.Lee was nominated for best wait staff in the Orlando weekly Best of Orlando contest. He made it to the second round but didn't win. It is obvious that he is a very good waiter because he averaged tips in the 25% range. Unfortunately, the restaurant (The Uncommon Eatery) closed due to lack of business so now he is working their catering. He doesn't like it as much and doesn't make as much money. What a bummer.
My second trip to Florida included a cruise with my Mom and James my great nephew. This was James' first cruise, not a surprise since he is only 8. Luckily, we made sure he knew how to find the cabin because on the first night (Fourth of July) we got separated. It was a Royal Caribbean cruise and the promenade was packed. One guy grabbed James and put him on his shoulders and when he put him down it was on the opposite side of the crowd from where I was. I tried to find him but when I couldn't I went back to the cabin and sure enough there he was. Mom wasn't even mad about him showing up alone.
He really loved the slide and definitely appreciated port days since there was no line for the slide. It was on this cruise that Mom caught covid and then gave it to me. I think she got it in the elevator, James and I didn't use the elevators much but she used them all the time. I stayed in Florida an extra week hoping to get over Covid so I wouldn't bring it home to Meade. After I got home I slept in my she shed on a blow up mattress for a week to further ensure he didn't catch it. We were successful because he didn't.
I stopped at the Florida Caverns on this trip as well. I have wanted to go there for years but had never made it. I just love caves. Meade says I am a bat.
My COBRA insurance coverage expired in July. Our insurance options
weren't very good especially in regards to Meade's expensive medicines. I
discovered Advocates for America. We are able to get his 3 expensive
medications ($1000 a month each) for only $59 a month. If you take
expensive medication you should call them (Clark Reedy 954-737-4937) to
see if they can save you money. Meade has been very diligent taking is medicine for his diabetes but unfortunately he now has glaucoma as well. It is a common side effect of diabetes. So now he takes eye drops in the morning and evening. So far they are keeping his glaucoma under control.
Lee actually came up to visit us in late August. He drove his new (to him) red 2017 Fiat 123 Spider convertible.
It was really nice to have him around. He and I went to two movies. We also went to the Safari Wild Animal Park. It is about an hour south of us and I have wanted to go but Meade wasn't interested. Lee really seemed to like it. I love these kind of places almost as much as caves.
Meade and I went to Hot Springs Arkansas in September for our anniversary. We went to the same resort that we went last time. It is on a big lake and they had an absolutely fabulous fireworks show on Labor Day. We had a great view from our balcony. I tried out a sensory deprivation chamber. I wasn't really sure how I would react to it because in a Big Bang episode Amy had a bad experience and Sheldon had a psychedelic experience. I found it to be relaxing. I probably reacted that way because I have been meditating regularly for a few years. I also went to the Quapaw Spa and spent about 6 hours alternating between reading on a chaise lounge and soaking in the hot tub. I really like that spa. I also went on a Duck Boat tour and walked on several trails. I wouldn't mind going back to Hot Springs every few years.My third trip to Florida was primarily for Lee's birthday. We went to Olive Garden. It is the first time I have been to an Olive Garden in probably 3 years, It was very good. Lee and I had tickets to a Tampa Bay Lightning/Nashville Predators game. Unfortunately, it got cancelled when hurricane Ian hit. Lee was out of power for 20 hours but with no damage. We were out of power for 2 hours at Mom's but also had no damage.Meade is still playing his guitar. I am still playing my electric keyboard.He is more diligent about it because he really likes it and I like it ok but am really doing it because it is good for my brain.
We are still big Nashville Predators fans. Since I missed going to the game in September I have tickets for Lee and I to go December 8th while I am in Florida. Hopefully, we will get to go. I am still a big Tennessee Titans fan and Meade is a Miami Dolphins fan. He is really excited (well as excited as he gets) about the Dolphins leading their conference. My Titans are leading theirs as well. Hopefully by the end of the season that will still be the case for both of us. Who knows maybe the AFC Conference Championship will be between the Titans and Dolphins. For those of you who follow the NFL you know that is highly unlikely but hey I can dream. We are also still playing fantasy football (our league is over 20 years old) and hockey (this is only our third year). We enjoy trying to figure out who to pick up and it adds interest to watching the games that aren't our teams.
Meade is still listening to a LOT of music on Spotify. He convinced me to let him sign me up as part of a family plan. I don't listen to it as much as he does but it is REALLY handy for my trips to and from Florida. Trying to find a radio station that comes in while you drive through different areas is definitely a pain in the neck. The music we listen to is completely different. He is primarily older rock and roll from when we were in high school while mine is mostly current Christian music. Spotify's Wrapped report says he listened to 111,298 minutes and I listened to 19,927 minutes. Yikes !!! He sure got his money's worth and in since I was only an extra $3 a month I think I did too. I also listened to 1910 minutes of podcasts.
In October, I started to have some chest pains. I tried to ignore them but one day they were so persistent I went to the ER. After being there about six hours they said I had definitely NOT had a heart attack but I should go see a cardiologist. Meade convinced me to go see his concierge doctor in Huntsville. Dr Fisher said he thought it was a gall bladder issue. He suggested some tests but he wasn't on our insurance so I had to use a PCP on our plan to order the tests he suggested. Long story short, my gall bladder is functioning at 27% and normal is 35-65% so I need to have it removed. It is one of those organs that you really don't need. I am working through the insurance to get it scheduled. I hope to have it done by the end of the year. I fully expect to have to pay our maximum out of pocket (around $8000). Thank God I have an HSA with around $20,000 still in it.
I have grown much closer to God this year. I am reading the Life Application Bible which provides a lot of background and explanation so the confusing parts make a lot more sense. I am also praying a LOT more. I find it very comforting to know that God is listening to me and is there to support me through the hard times (like the chest pain experience). If you haven't invited Jesus into your heart I would ask you to please consider it. I truly believe that it is the most important decision you can make. If you want to talk about it I would be happy to (407-342-4101) but it would probably be best if you check out my church's services. (www.churchofthehighlands.com). Please give this some serious thought. God Bless.
Hope everyone has a blessed and happy holiday season and 2023.



















No comments:
Post a Comment